Principles / General Agreement
- Music is a means of artistic expression and communication through art.
- Music and all other arts must retain their importance - even in a world oriented towards technology and the media. All possible steps must be taken to preserve and further develop art and culture.
- The "Fête de la Musique", the Day of Music, is an excellent means of enriching cultural life and is a very appropriate step towards raising the appreciation and status of music.
- The "Fête de la Musique" is particularly well suited to promote and cultivate the European idea.
- Therefore, we hereby declare our commitment to host and support the "Fête de la Musique" as an annual "Day of Music", which will take place every year on 21 June, in compliance with official and legal requirements.
- The "Fête de la Musique" is characterised by the following principles:
1) All events are open tp the public and without entrance fee.
2) All musicians perform without compensation.
3) All concerts take place in unusual performance venues, especially under the open sky.
4) Cooperation between cultural institutions and government agencies.
5) The cultivation of international cooperation, especially between the participating cities and municipalities.
- We invite other cities and municipalities to also participate in this initiative.
- We ask the European Commission, as well as all national, regional and local authorities and bodies, to support us in disseminating this concept and in implementing the Fête de la Musique event:
A secretariat has been set up at ADCEP in Paris.